Original Site of Third Baptist Church
The First African American Baptist Church West of the Rocky Mountains
In August 1852, Abraham Brown, Thomas Bundy, Thomas Davenport, Willie Denton, Harry Fields, George Lewis, Fielding Spotts, and Eliza and William Davis organized the church in the Davis home. The congregation purchased the old First Baptist Church and moved it to this location in 1854. The present church is now located at 1399 McAllister Street.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 1010
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Third Baptist Church, April 9, 1996.
Cora Mary Jackson
Dr. Amos C. Brown